Saturday, September 24, 2005

What it's like to be a Californian during a tornado...

Jebus. That was traumatic. My first tornado. Actually, I don't really know where the tornado was. On the news they had warnings. Well, I was trying to take a nap and three people came to the door. The third was my RA Allison who told me that there was a tornado watch and that if I heard the siren I should go downstairs with a pillow. See, they have a siren for the town of Conway that goes off as a tornado warning. They play it every Wednesday regardless. Well anyway, I couldn't nap after she told me that. I got scared. So I watched the news for a little bit, but then it went back to scheduled programming. Well about 10-15 mintues later the siren went off...

I grabbed my blanket and pillow and went downstairs. Luckily I saw my friend Mac and sat next to her. Within 2 minutes I was really really scared and started to get misty eyed. Then I couldn't hold back, I cried. Everyone else though was having a grand old time sitting in the hallway, making jokes, etc. Then there's me, crying, poor little California girl. Well, about 15-20 minutes later it was all clear. It was traumatic. Erg. I still haven't eaten dinner yet. Anyway, I'm okay, and everyone I know is okay. Scary stuff.

Apparently tornados happen all the time around here...sheesh. My friend Ahren (from OK) said that back home when tornados happen, people go outside. Damn. Crazy crazy crazy. I can't handle this shit! Give me earthquakes, not tornados. Earthquakes 10 x better. At least they don't move 25 mph in a given direction. Aghh...